A common question we get at our law firm in Bellevue is do I have a Personal Injury case? To answer the question we have four questions to help expedite the process.
1) Is there liability? – This requires facts, witnesses, and evidence: we need a foundation for your case.
2) Insurance: is there insurance to cover damages? is it yours or theirs?
The following is accepted if it’s different than Plaintiff:
– driver of vehicle
– vehicle owner if different
– Plaintiff/injured party
– person plaintiff resides with
If the injury is non-vehicular: We see if their is a homeowners policy
3) Are there damages to be claimed? General (pain and suffering, loss of consortium) and special damages (anything you can put an exact amount on such as property damage to your vehicle, medical bills, lost wages etc).
4) Should I go to the doctor? Absolutely – this is not a question your attorney can answer but it’s always better to err on the side of caution. It is not uncommon for symptoms to flare up after some time has passed from an accident. When your body experiences a traumatic event, it releases adrenaline and endorphins to cope with the anticipated pain so when that wears off it’s common the start to feel pain. However, it has to do with you and not your case and you know yourself best so it ultimately is up to you.